As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spaghetti and meatballs is a quintessential Italian-American dish that combines tender meatballs with a rich tomato sauce, served over a bed of perfectly cooked spaghetti. Let’s dive into the details.
To create this classic dish, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (28 ounces) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Step 1: Prepare the Meat Mixture
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and ground pork.
- Add breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, minced garlic, milk, and the egg to the meat mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
Step 2: Shape the Meatballs
- Take a portion of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball about the size of a golf ball.
- Repeat this process until all the meat mixture is used, forming meatballs.
Step 3: Prepare the Tomato Sauce
- Heat olive oil.
- Add chopped onions.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Season with sugar, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Let the sauce simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Making Meatballs
Step 4: Cook the Meatballs
- Add the meatballs to the skillet and brown them on all sides.
- Once browned, transfer the meatballs to the simmering tomato sauce.
- Allow the meatballs to cook in the sauce for an additional 20-30 minutes, ensuring they are cooked through.
- Cooking the Sauce
Step 5: Boiling Spaghetti
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions until it’s firm to the bite, known as ‘al dente.’
- Drain the spaghetti and set it aside.
- Assembling the Dish
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
- Take a plate and arrange a generous serving of cooked spaghetti on it.
- Ladle the tomato sauce with meatballs over the spaghetti.
- Serve hot and enjoy your homemade classic spaghetti and meatballs!
Q1: Can I use ground turkey instead of beef and pork?
A1: Absolutely! You have the option to use ground turkey as a leaner substitute. Just make sure to season it well to enhance the flavor.
Q2: Can I make the meatballs ahead of time?
A2: Yes, you can prepare the meatballs in advance and refrigerate them. This can save you time when making the dish.
Q3: What can I serve with spaghetti and meatballs?
A3: A simple side salad and garlic bread are excellent choices to complement this dish.
Classic spaghetti and meatballs is a timeless favorite that never goes out of style. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can bring the flavors of Italy right into your home.
So, gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and treat yourself to a plate of deliciousness.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.